Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Concert Diaries Chapter One ~ Anticipation, Planning and Packing

Late Spring.  It's the start of concert season.  Sure there've been the odd ones here and there over the winter but now that the outdoor venues are opening, the schedule is getting packed again.  Well packed for this concert newbie.

But I don't just mean my schedule either.  I don't have to physically be at a show to enjoy it.  I can count on my fellow fangirl friends to post, tweet and share comments, pictures and videos every time someone I like is playing somewhere ... anywhere.  This is a service I appreciate more than they know.

And by "someone I like," I, of course, mostly mean Gavin DeGraw.  But not exclusively.  There are lots of others I enjoy and who move me either emotionally or to dance (or both).  But in all likelihood, my concert diaries will mostly focus on seeing Gavin this summer.

That's the plan.  Tickets are in my phone for four shows in July.  But we're kicking it off this Friday at a free concert early in the morning on my favorite beach.  The New York radio station WPLJ is sponsoring a concert on the beach at Jenkinson's on the boardwalk in Point Pleasant.  It's being hosted by the morning DJ's Scott and Todd hence the early start time of 6 AM.  Yes--6 AM.  Until 10 AM.  Morning drive time.  I'm told people start lining up for spots at midnight.  I'm hoping I have it in me to stand in line through the night with teenagers and people who will have surely spent too many hours in the Tiki Bar.

For you see, Gavin DeGraw will be there.  My favorite singer on my favorite beach--"I can't imagine anything better."*  I can't imagine not being there.

I've been shamelessly tweeting the radio station all week in the hopes of being able to meet him on Friday.  (I apologize to those twitter followers who aren't understanding of my incessant gavinizing.)  I have a cheesy motel room near the beach so I can maybe sleep a little before staking out the venue.  I'm planning concert beach attire.

I'm excited that Sara Bareilles is also playing on Friday.  Her new song, Brave, is wonderful.  It's almost like she was in my head this year when she wrote it.  I've been lucky enough to see her live twice recently so I'm thrilled to have this chance to hear her sing Brave live too.

Mark Ballas will be performing too.  Singing--not dancing.  You may know him from Dancing With the Stars but what you may not know is that he sings, plays guitar and writes music too.  I didn't know it either until Gavin tweeted about it last week.  It will be interesting to see him get started with this second layer to his career.

I'm most scared about Ed Sheeran appearing at this show.  That undoubtedly means young teens and 'tweens.  Scary bunch of people.  They scream and sing along badly and boldly.  It's really, really bad.  And they push a lot, speak at unheard of decibels, especially during acts that they're not particularly interested in.  I'm anticipating trying to find a spot not near anyone under age 21 but I doubt that will be possible.  I'm hoping that they all have school and parents who won't let them skip but I know that's unlikely too.

I will be beyond thrilled if Gavin sings music from his new album due out sometime in the early part of the summer.  It's not a perfect venue for putting out something new though.  Outside, early, screaming teens ...

Memorial Day Weekend represents the start of summer around here.  Starting my summer at Jenkinson's with Gavin DeGraw seems pretty perfect to me.  And it's only going to get better.  Who's got that countdown clock for Virginia Beach?

PS Thanks 95.5 WPLJ for starting off the tri-state's summer in style!


Sara Bareilles ~ Brave 

*Dancing Shoes (Gavin DeGraw)


It's so nice to see you
Can we sit and talk for a while?
I have searched forever
I can't imagine anythin' better

Kids up on the stairway
Couples on the sidewalk squares
If I get to your heart soon
I'll call a perfect afternoon

Won't you call my number?
Don't push, but don't hesitate
Wake me from this slumber
Rush me, but leave time to wake

Checkmate on my shoulder
I'm tired of this win or lose
Well, I'm no knight in shinnin' armor
But I'm no pair of dancin' shoes
I'm no pair of dancin' shoes

My patience ran away, take me with you
You keep me holdin' on
Nothin's understood, you're so confusin'
Tell it to me straight

Won't you call my number?
Don't push, but don't hesitate
Wake me from this slumber
Rush me, but leave time to wake
Rush me, but leave time to wake

I got nothin' left to lose
But I'm no pair of dancin' shoes
I got nothin' left to lose
But I'm no pair of dancin' shoes

I got nothin' left to lose
But I'm no pair of dancin' shoes
I got nothin' left to lose
But I'm no pair of dancin' shoes


No comments:

Post a Comment