Thursday, December 19, 2013

Concert Diaries Chapter 20: Paramount 2013 (a Let's December It post)



Everything will change ...

After yesterday's adventure in the snow, I think Brenda and I were ready for anything.  We set off for Long Island around 11:00 but first had to make an all-important stop for me:  Best Buy.  Fangirl had to replace her camera before the evening.  iPhone pictures just don't cut it.

The roads were pretty good by the time we hit the highway.  Some slush on the road causing a filthy spray on the windshield was the worst we had to contend with.  We made good time and arrived in Huntington (central Long Island) around 1:30.  Plenty of time--"doors" wouldn't open until 7:00.  For this General Admission show, it was essential to be in the front of the line to assure that front row position.  We collected our tickets at the Will Call window and set off in search of food.

We found Portofino's, an Italian restaurant across the street from The Paramount that had been highly recommended and settled in for a leisurely lunch.  Just as we were enjoying dessert though, we saw a couple of people begin to line up.  It was only 3:00.  There was nothing else to do but get in line as well.  We met up with Courtney out on the street and together we joined the handful of people who comprised the front of the line. The long wait began.  It was below freezing but I was more prepared this year than last year even while still choosing a little black dress over jeans.

The time passed quickly with friends meeting us in line and chatting with other fans sharing the frigid yet friendly experience.  There's always a lot to talk about ... concerts we've been to, concerts lined up in the future, how we all became fans, favorite songs and more personal chat too.  Every meeting like this results in at least one person pointing out how many friendships have been formed because of this man and his music.

Someone from the venue came out to check ID's and give us wristbands.  I'm always amused at having my ID checked.   After all I've been legal to drink in NJ/NY since, well, forever.  The drinking age was 18 back then.  The guy really read it too.  I guess he could do the math since I got a bracelet.

Doors opened not long after that and the sprint for the front row began.  I lingered to make sure my new young friends knew how this venue worked:  stairs to the right and left, up and through the doors, run to the front.  They wound up stage left in front of the bass and drums.  Brenda, Courtney and I were smack in the center in front of the piano.  There was no railing between us and the stage this year. There often is--it makes an aisle for security, professional photographers and the artists should they choose to mingle a little.  This year we were pressed right up against the stage.  Pressed is the operative word--the room filled quickly and we couldn't have moved anywhere even if we'd wanted to.

The first opener was a pleasant young man named Jeff LeBlanc, rather young to be called a "former teacher" but he'd left teaching to pursue a music career.  He had a nice voice and was very appealing.  I'd like to hear him in a bar setting.  It was a little hard to hear him there as so many weren't paying attention to the opening acts.  I always feel sorry for the openers.  I know they understand they're paying their dues and probably even expect people to not pay complete attention but it must be hard when you have a lot riding on your performance.

The second opening act was Austin Lucas, a country singer who'd flown in in the wee hours of the morning from Chicago.  I found him somewhat hard to understand despite his standing right in front of me, literally.  I think he, also, would have benefitted from a smaller venue.

The crew stepped on stage to position the microphones, tune the guitars, place the piano in the exact right spot, sound check the drums.  When the band appears and the music swells, there is that reaction, a roaring that builds and exquisite anticipation that seems to go on for minutes when in reality, it's a matter of seconds.  We were in the perfect place.


This was my 15th Gavin DeGraw concert in 18 months.  I've seen him in bigger venues and smaller ones like The Paramount tonight.  Something felt different to me.  For one thing, there seemed to be a lot more clusters of really young fans--the kind who scream (picture a Justin Bieber concert).  Several of us caught Gavin exchanging looks with his guitar player.  The looks seemed to say "Wow.  This is insane." or "Whoa.  This is a little different."  There was really phenomenal energy in the room and he and the band seemed to take it in and turn it back out to us tenfold.

Since he didn't headline a tour this summer, this was the longest concert of the year for many of us.  Lots of older material and several from the new album, Make a Move, satisfied new and old fans.  I was a little surprised that the screaming group of girls (okay--I need to say it: they were by far the rudest people I've ever encountered at a concert) knew his older material as well as the new songs.  It was their only redeeming quality.  I was happy to hear Crush again--it's one of my favorites off the first album.  I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing In Love With a Girl, also from the first album.  Radiation, Sweeter, Run Every Time from the last album are some of my all-time favorites.  He sang Soldier which seems to continue to mean a great deal to him--with good reason.  The lyrics are pretty powerful.  Make A Move and, particularly, Everything Will Change from the new album have my heart.  Especially Everything Will Change--it describes the last 20 months of my life to perfection.  The first time I heard it (at Mixfest in September) I felt as though he'd written it for me.  "Take those boots off the shelf, Wipe that dust off yourself, Even if you've been through hell, you're back." I didn't exactly go through hell after my divorce (thanks to my family) but there were some hellacious days and I definitely had been living on a shelf ... for a lot of years.

This being a December concert, we were given a Christmas song.  I think he does one each year.  Last year it was Oh Holy Night.  This year he's been doing White Christmas.  He sat on a stool within arm's reach (check out the video that Brenda caught) and gave us his special rendition.

After White Christmas, the night became truly magical.  Gavin walked to the edge of stage right and got down low.  He was talking to a child in the crowd and we could hear bits of muffled conversation between them.  He asked him how long he'd been playing the piano and we could hear him say since he was a baby.  Gavin invited him on stage and disappeared behind the scrim to meet him.  When he was led onto the stage, it became apparent that this young man, Anthony, was visually impaired.  I've since read some posts that say he's also autistic.  I can't confirm what his disabilities are and truly, that's unimportant as I can confirm that he's a gifted and talented young person who stole all our hearts that night.  Gavin got him seated at the piano and he immediately captivated us with a classical piece.  No one was expecting a little prodigy!  Then he mashed it into That's Amore!  The looks on the faces of Gavin and the band were priceless.  Anthony then blew Gavin away with the opening chords of his huge hit, Not Over You.  Within seconds the entire room was singing with him.  To say it was a special moment would be an understatement.  I think on Twitter I said "Some kind of wonderfulness is happening right now at the @GavinDeGraw show at @TheParamountNY."  And it was some kind of wonderfulness.  Anthony took a bow with Gavin and then rejoined his folks.  It felt like a Christmas present--a lovely surprise that no one was expecting that made the already awesome night extra special. Since that night, I've had some interactions with Anthony's parents on Twitter and it's clear that this is an amazing family with a treasure in their midst.

And this is one of the reasons why this man is firmly lodged in the hearts of so very many of us.

Back to the set list, Gavin did his pre-Follow Through banter with the characteristic acting.  I've seen this so many times that I'm amazed I still find it amusing.  But I do.  It's part of his charm.  His heartfelt, Who's Going to Save Us blew me away again.  When it came to his closing trademark song, I Don't Want to Be, followed by the encore, Not Over You, I wished, as always, that he'd not stop there.  There are so many songs I'd love to hear him do live.  Songs from Free like Mountains to Move and Glass and I'd give anything to be in the room if he ever brings back Let It Go. In other words, I didn't want the night to end.  But you know what they say about all good things ...

We lingered for as long as we could.  I think everyone was hoping Gavin would come out and say hello.  He did last year.  But that was not to be.  I'm okay with that--I never expect those things to happen so I'm always surprised and grateful when they do.  There was no Cinderella party for us this year either.  Last year, we were lucky to attend the after party where Gavin and the band were on hand to talk to folks.  I call it the Cinderella party because that's how I felt that night, hanging out until the wee hours of the morning with my friends and chatting with his band all night.  Tonight Brenda and Courtney and I walked just a couple of doors down and had a drink at a pub (where Billy Joel used to hang out when he lived--for 20 years--in Huntington) with a bartender who told us some fun stories.

Courtney, from Pennsylvania, was staying over but Brenda and I had an hour and a half drive ahead of us so all too soon we said goodbye and got back on the road.  Two days, three states; two shows, unlimited happiness.

We talked on the way home about how different that show had felt to us.  I selfishly worried aloud if everything had changed--if the resurgence of success that appears to be coming would change things for our little fandom.  Terrible thoughts--I'm excited for his success and wish for bigger and better things to come his way.  But I'll miss the respectful crowds and the more intimate settings.  Tonight's pushing and screaming bothered me.  I wondered if I can stand in line longer than 4 hours if it comes to that.  We'll see.  One thing hasn't changed ... will never change:  the joy and energy that flows through me for days following a live Gavin DeGraw performance.  It's like a drug that went straight to the vein.*

*Make A Move

~~~~~

Brenda's video of Gavin and Anthony.  In the last couple of days since the concert, we've talked about this moment quite a lot on social media.  What a joy and privilege it was to be a part of it.


I love this picture of Billy.






1 comment: