Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Looking Back/Looking Forward

That's how January got it's name, right?  The god, Janus, looks forward and back at the same time.  He's the god of transitions, gates and passages.  He must then, also be the god of New Year's Eve, since we're given to looking back back and ahead tonight.

Here's what I'm grateful for at the end of this year:


  • Continued good health and being very close to goal.
  • My fantastic family.
  • Enjoying the work I do and those with whom I work.
  • Having time for volunteering in my community.
  • My local friends and my friends around the country and beyond.
  • Fun short trips for family, fun and friends.
  • Days at the beach.
  • Live music.  (So spoiled in that department.)
  • My Girl Scout family.


I had only one resolution this year and I've come so close to it that I think I have to say I was successful.  Discounting the holiday weight gain that I know I can readily rid myself of within a week or so, I'm about 15 pounds away from my weight loss goal.  It's been a interesting journey of finding out why and how I make decisions about what to eat, when, where and how often.  Not every day went according to plan but I learned this year that all decisions I make I can own and that a day off the plan doesn't mean the plan is a failure or wrong or diminished.  It's just that day's decisions and I can return to the plan with the very next decision.  Food decisions.  They don't have to be my curse.

There are things I'm happy to say good-bye to this year as well but they are so few and, at the end of the day (or year), so inconsequential they don't bear listing.

Success make you feel bold.  I had one goal last year and since achieving it (pretty well) gave me some energy and impetus, there are more goals for next year:


  • Continue on the healthy path and do some strength training.
  • Spend more time in the garden.
  • Spend some time at the piano.  (Must get it tuned and refurbished first, however.)
  • Spend more time at the beach.
  • Organize my personal stuff.
  • Stick to the savings plan.


So there you go, Janus.  A little bit of looking back and ahead.  The gate to 2014 is open.






No comments:

Post a Comment