Friday, February 14, 2014

Snow Day Dancing

Make that snow days.  Two of them.

One of the few perks of working for a school is that when the weather unleashes snow and ice, the superintendent makes the difficult decision to close the district for the day.  Now, lest you think the perks of working in a public school get grander than that, let me just say that snow days are the biggest perks and you can go years without having one.  In fact, we try very hard not to have them because ultimately the biggest perk of working in a school is seeing kids grow and learn every day and knowing that you've got the privilege of helping them on the journey to becoming who they're meant to be.  But, the older I get, the more reluctant I am to drive in bad weather so I was happy not to be out in yesterday's snowstorm or to be driving on the icy roads that froze in the rain that followed the snow.

Snow days.  For me, they are a both a waste of time and a welcome break in routine in what is often the bleakest part of the winter.  I envy people who are diligent and use the "found" time to do something useful like clean closets, paint a room or catch up on paperwork.  I do none of these things.  The unsettledness of the weather unsettles me and I can't concentrate on anything other than keeping up with shoveling, cooking and eating, watching television and reading.  I rotate through these activities for the duration of the storm.  The fact that we're on day two of not-so-great weather with two to four inches of more snow predicted for tomorrow (after yesterday's fourteen inches) only made me spin my wheels a little more today.

But it's Olympic season and I love the winter Olympics.  So for the past two days I've enjoyed the men's figure skaters, all of whom were flawed but nonetheless determined this year.  There is nothing quite like figure skating ... the seemingly effortless dance across the ice that is actually the product of countless hours of practice both on and off the ice, of strength training, endurance training; the product of self-denial:  giving up school and proms for 4 AM practice sessions, giving up dates and dancing for meetings with coaches, choreographers and costume fittings.  I guess this is true of all athletes on the path to gold but figure skaters capture my imagination more than the others--probably because the combination of athleticism, grace and music are perfect together.  At least, to me they are.  It's a kind of dance--part of my New Year's resolution ... enjoy more dancing.

Days and evenings have been spent watching the hopefulness and dreams laid on the line for all to see by skaters and skiers, death defying daredevils on sleds large and small, and racers on mountains and moguls and icy ovals.

But last night and tonight there were late-night gifts to be enjoyed too.  Last night it was a new show in the current season of Live From Daryl's House, Daryl Hall's show, filmed in his home where he entertains guest musicians.  They make a little music, make a little dinner, make a whole lot of music fans very happy. 

This fan was very happy last night.  Last night's episode featured Gavin DeGraw.  The music they made together was truly astounding.  I find it completely fascinating that musicians show up at Daryl's house in upstate New York and with virtually no audience, besides the technicians and people cooking them dinner, come together to give flawless, exciting, highly enthusiastic performances.  Each (whoever the guest is--I've seen this show a time or two ...) seems to appreciate the chance to make music with a fellow talented legendary musician for just the sake of making the music.  No audience, no pressure, no meet and greets, no venues to make happy, no merch to sell.  Just musicians and their music--pure and simple.  And what results is pure joy and satisfaction--for all.

Last night's episode featured four songs written by Gavin (sweetly sexy Make A Move, anthemic Everything Will Change, sexier still Radiation and his signature, I Don't Want To Be) and two written by Daryl (Go Solo and I Want to Know You for a Long Time).   I didn't dance.  I was too transfixed with the performances.  The little glimpses of the two of them discussing the pieces and then the full-on nothing-held-back versions of well-loved (at least by fans of these two) songs.  Gavin says "Every player brings their own personality to the song" so the songs sound a little different performed with Daryl than with Gavin's own band.  Slightly different harmonies and different ways of tweaking rhythms and riffs.  It's hard to describe--it was so up close and personal.  And for some die-hard fans, me among them, the reaction was very emotional.

It was such a fresh way to see Gavin.  I've loved my concert experiences--every one of them (even the rainy ones).  Television performances are less satisfactory generally.  Guesting on Leno or Conan means coming back from commercial, throwing to the band and a performance that often ends with credits rolling over it.  This however, was up close, personal and so intimate.  Literally like being the proverbial "fly on the wall," I watched two great musicians practicing their craft so naturally, with such ease and abandon.  The emotional quality of Gavin's voice really was clearly revealed in this setting and I became completely entranced.  They were lost in the making of the music and lead the viewer into their collective reverie.  The pure enjoyment that they were obviously feeling translated completely through the television.  There is, after all, nothing sweeter than making music with your friends.  I'd nearly forgotten how beautiful that feels and how much I enjoyed the opportunity to do that when I had it (a lifetime ago).

Of course the gorgeous "Everything Will Change, " the third selection for the night, is the song that Team USA selected as its theme song for this Olympic cycle.  So there you have it--my day full circle once again.  Olympics and Gavin intertwining to shape my snow day into a special respite from the daily grind.  The cooking (gumbo), dinner and random conversations were fun--many stories that Gavin fans would already have known but still great to hear.  Their rendition of Daryl's "I Want to Know You for a Long Time" was a highlight for me.  They seemed to be improvising towards the end and playing off one another in a seamless way that spoke to their combined years of experience and professionalism.  Did I mention I was into it?  Gavin's guitar player and musical director, Billy Norris, sat in with Daryl's band and contributed largely to the amazing overall quality of the night.

Live from Daryl's House.  Go to the website and see which of your favorite singers has been to Daryl's for dinner and a jam.

Tonight Gavin's winter/spring tour begins in Biloxi.  Shortly there will be pictures, video snippets of undoubtedly poor instagram quality.  Tomorrow there might be better videos uploaded to YouTube.  Maybe someone will share the set list.  Maybe someone will tell us about the new guy on keys.  This vicarious enjoyment of every concert, several each week, has become routine.  The network of fans uploading highlights for the rest of us and each taking his or her turn when the tour rolls through his or her area is something that a lot of us anticipate.  I have a wait ahead of me before they come east.  They are detouring through Europe after the midwest.  This gives me something to look forward to while I dig myself out of drifts and wait for longer, warmer days.

So not really actual dancing (until I rewind and play Daryl's House over and over) but a dancing spirit despite the ice and snow and salt and slush.

~~~~~

Live From Daryl's House Gavin DeGraw episode






No comments:

Post a Comment