Friday, April 11, 2014

It's April! The Last Part ~ Gavin DeGraw in Port Chester




I've decided that eggs are the older person's raman noodles.  I'm eating a lot of eggs this week, having had the wonderful opportunity to see Gavin DeGraw three times in five days.  It's a good thing I know about a hundred things to do with eggs since there are more concerts in my future.  How does that lyric go?  


Baby get used to that hole in your pocket
That's the price of love.

You know, a girl's gotta do ....

Last Wednesday:  Starland Ballroom, Sayreville
Last Friday:  House of Blues, Atlantic City

So, if this is Monday, I must be in Port Chester.

The Make A Move Tour was announced before Christmas I think (maybe not ... that's what happens when you get old ... the memory is the first thing to go).  In any case, I'd had my April tickets for months.  We  tweeted often "Is it March yet?" "Is it April yet?" "Is it May yet?" all winter long, depending on where we lived and when we were seeing Gavin in concert. Well, it's April now and I've had three experiences.  And I want to turn back the clock.

I'd barely recovered from the HOB concert when Monday rolled around.  My New York concert buddy, @SheeZAmaZing called me just after lunch to let me know that she would be able to use one of my extra tickets (long story there--but I'm glad I had them).  I was thrilled she'd be able to join me and hurried to get ready.  Sheeza lives in Manhattan so I was in for another mini road trip. 

I reached her place by about 4:00 or so and we headed out of the City for Port Chester, slightly north of Rye, NY.  The traffic was impossible and I got a little panicky at one point thinking we'd be stuck in New York all night.  It didn't help that I'd gone the wrong way over the Triboro  Bridge.  But eventually we arrived.  It was about 6:45 when we approached the Capitol Theatre and we had no expectations of front row.  And yet, front row, albeit far left, is where we found ourselves.  Because as the song says,


I want to be where you are
And I'm willing to get there.

The Capitol Theatre in Port Chester is a beautiful place.  Built in 1926, it has a story similar to many grand old spaces.  A one-time movie palace that fell on hard times after the big Hollywood studio productions had run their course, it was reinvented as a music venue in the 70's but eventually closed down for many years.  After changing hands several times, it's now been reopened for mostly music performances and it's stunning with gorgeous plasterwork and the most innovative light show on the side walls and domed ceiling.  It was dramatic.

I'd long ago decided on a second meet and greet opportunity tonight (one of the reasons I had extra tickets).  So after Rozzie Crane's opening set, I went back to the merch table to get in line.  We waited a long time but as usual, I met a new fan friend from Long Island.  I also ran into Delores and her sister Joyce again (they'd been at HOB, Atlantic City too).  And standing in line I recognized Deanna.  By then Parachute was on stage and it was really hard to chat but we managed to get a few words in.  I'd left the CD I wanted Gavin to sign in the car when we rushed to the venue.  So when we finally got downstairs ('way below the stage in the catacombs of the theater), I thought I would dispense with the autograph and just talk an extra second or two. At the last minute, however, I had him sign my ticket and I asked him to use my Twitter name:  @GSKath.  I told him how grateful I am that he and his music have brought so many new, interesting and special people into my life, that it was one of his greatest gifts ... bringing people together.  Finally, I managed to say something that was on my heart.  Because,


I just want to thank you baby
I just want to thank you.


I didn't get lost coming out of the bowels of the theater by myself (although at the time, it was actually a real concern).  I found my way back to the front row and it wasn't too long before the familiar darkness and smokey fog enveloped the audience and the music that "excites my every cell" flowed all around.  It was the third show in five days.  I knew exactly what to expect.  I closed my eyes and let myself be swept away.  For some reason I can't get enough of this music that seems to provide me with an energy that comes from nothing else I know.

The crowd was enthusiastically receptive.  There were only a few screaming teens and, near me, only one who sang loudly out of both tune and rhythm.  I watched Gavin use the whole stage as he always does, entertaining us with stories (well known to a lot of us by now), that trademark charm and moves that are uniquely his own. 

Song after song until the set list was complete.  Then, the now trademark selfie for this show and he disappeared from the stage.  I went off to complete my shopping list for fan friends at the merch table and SheeZaMazing stayed near the stage ... just in case.  Gavin did not come back out this time but she was rewarded anyway with one of the set lists.


I don't eat much before a show and I'm always famished afterward.  We found a nearby diner and I ordered, what else ... eggs benedict.  And lots of coffee.  Okay--not real coffee; I only drink decaf.  It wakes me up anyway.  We chatted, tweeted, read tweets ... I appreciate those who give us glimpses of their concerts when it's their turn.  I like to see what others are feeling who've just had the same experience as I.  

Back on the road we make it back to Manhattan in far less time than it took to get out.  I imagine the band getting on the bus and leaving for Toronto and the happiness in store for all my Canadian fan friends in a couple of days.  @SheeZAmaZing and I promise to make plans for another adventure soon now that the weather is on our side again.  And I point my little red car ... (hmmm ... my red carpet ride) in the direction of home.  Five days, three shows with three road trips and I can't help but think that  


A red carpet ride
can take your mind away from anything.

It did but this lovely red carpet ride is coming to a close.  For now.








4 comments:

  1. Fun reading this! I was there too! But I had lots of screaming teenagers near me.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine! Wish I'd found you in the crowd. Such a fabulous venue. Maybe we'll meet up there some other time.

      Delete
  2. Uhh. I just wrote a long comment and then swiped the back-button accidentaly from my phone. Crap.

    Anyways, i loved reading this! :-D you made me feel almost like i was there myself.

    And i agree totally with you that he brings people together. That's something special! It seems he has this ability to, i don't know, connect us. I haven't seen that to happen with any other celeb like this before.

    He has changed my life, literally. Love him for that.

    And really enjoyed reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rikka! He changed mine too. Grateful for all the music, the friends and the endless good times!

      Delete