Monday, September 16, 2013

Concert Diaries Chapter 13 ~ Mixfest 2013, At Which I Make My Radio Debut


Saturday, September 14.  It's MixFest 2013.  The annual free event put together for listeners of Mix 104.1 in Boston takes place this weekend every year.  It's my second time here.  It's the third visit to the MixFest stage from Gavin DeGraw.  I drove up for the concert yesterday and have met up with some special friends I've met through Twitter--yes, more friends through Twitter!  It's still astounding to me that I've done a complete social media about-face but I have and I wouldn't trade these new relationships for anything.  I mean that sincerely.  

So we're here at the Hatch Bandshell set in the Esplanade, three and a half miles of park set along the Charles River.  There are sail boats on the water and people packed in tightly from one end of the park to the other.  The bandshell is the outdoor home of the Boston Symphony and the Boston Pops hence the names of classical composers affixed to the levels of stage at the venue.  It's a beautiful setting and the day is pretty nice, more overcast and chilly than I'd thought it would be but the body heat from the crowd is making up for my lack of proper packing.

I got in line to be admitted to the park at noon.  My friends were all scattered in other lines; there were several places of admission.  I was at the corner of Arlington and Beacon Streets at the bottom of a footbridge that takes pedestrians over the busy Storrow Drive.  When we finally began to move, I saw the extraordinary security precautions the organizers and law enforcement were taking to keep everyone safe.  We were searched with wands and I had the most thorough bag check I've ever been subjected to.  In the wake of the Marathon day bombing, these are changes which were inevitable. 


I quickly find my friends near the front of the park, quite close to the stage but not front row.  We're next to the fence that separates the regular crowd from those who won VIP seats--they have chairs.  We are standing.  It's about 1:00 and we'll be standing here until the concert starts at 4:25.  After that we'll be dancing.  We pass the time catching up.  I've not seen one of these ladies in nearly a year.  Two others had come down from Boston to Yonkers a couple of weeks ago.  Two of us were together at Virginia Beach too.  We get around!  There may have also been a moment when four grown women hollered at drummer Ian O'Neill while he was out on stage during soundcheck.  It was some pretty loud yelling which attracted attention from everyone but the one whose attention was being sought.

Karen Blake is part of the weekend DJ staff and is a writer for the station.  She was out trolling the crowd for enthusiastic fans to chat with during live radio segments between the songs that are spinning at 104.1 this afternoon.  And this is how I came to make my radio debut--my three seconds of air time enthusiastically proclaiming I'd come to see Gavin DeGraw (not the Back Street Boys or Of Monsters and Men, the other two acts).  We all declare our unabashed adoration of the object of our musical affection and thank the station for the free event.  Karen hung out with for quite a long time while waiting for the cue to go live.  We chatted about the radio business and she was full of advice for my friend who dreams of a career in radio.

The station had run a contest for a local musician or group to open the show.  Alex Preston of New Hampshire was the winner.  He offered two selections that he'd written and they were pretty nice songs.  He has a good voice and I imagine if he can stick with it in this tough-to-get-ahead business, he'll have a career ahead of him.  It's not easy though, and he'll have to be pretty single-minded about chasing down his future.


Following Alex's performance, an interview that radio personality Erin O'Malley had done with Gavin backstage was aired on the jumbotron near the stage.  She's apparently a huge fan and was the first to play his first single, Follow Through, 10 years ago.  Gavin was charming as ever and Erin asked good questions that elicited hilarious answers about his recent performance in the air on a Southwest Airlines flight and singing in the shower from him.


A few more minutes of waiting, radio people thanking the sponsors, and last-minute soundchecking and then it was time.  Gavin took the stage and opened with In Love With A Girl, one of my favorites.  It's been the opening number lately and it's high energy gets the crowd in the right place for the rest of the set.  Radiation, another upbeat and truly sexy song quickly followed and we were all singing and dancing and typically enthralled.  The next song is a new one and is title of the new album (out October 15) as well.  Make a Move.  I love this and all the new material a lot.  I imagine that the new album will be my favorite.  Well, actually, I don't have a favorite record or even a favorite song.  There are records and songs for every mood and feeling I have.  Any day will find me playing one CD over and over or just one song or a playlist I've made to fit my mood.  James Cruz, the bassist, is one of the back-up singers for Make a Move.  I'm happy he's singing more this year.  He's got a fine voice and I enjoy hearing him blend with Gavin and Billy.

Gavin talks to us about the 10th anniversary this past July of his first album, Chariot and then sits at the piano to sing it for us.  It's a beautiful arrangement they're playing this year and I think to myself that his music director, Billy Norris who also plays guitar and sings back-up, has enormous talent and really good taste.  He balances the music and performances really well.  The band--Ian, Billy, James and Eric Kinney on keyboards--is as tight as ever today and each member contributes equally to the magic that is a Gavin DeGraw performance.  

We are beyond excited when Gavin announces that's he's premiering another song from the new album today for us.  It's called Everything Will Change and was utterly spellbinding--at least for me.  As I listened to the lyrics which seemed to me to be about growing up, making conscious decisions about your life and accepting that change is inevitable but how you handle it is what counts, I reached over and grabbed my friend's hand.  I've been through my share of "stuff" and I know she's been through more.  It seemed to me that he'd written that song for us.  It was a privilege to hear the first public performance.

A few more songs followed including the single available this week on iTunes, Who's Gonna Save, a beautiful song that I suspect was written with someone specific in mind.  It's another song that really speaks to something inside me and although I've probably played it nearly a hundred times this week, it sounds like the first time every time.  In fact, hearing it brings me back to the first emotional performance of it I'd heard in Virginia Beach.  There are no encores at this "Fest" and so after a rousing rendition of Not Over Year and his customary thanks, Gavin's set is over.

As we had no interest in hearing the retooled Back Street Boys who'd curiously brought out thousands of very young ladies (I thought it was curious since many of them appeared to not have been old enough for BSB the first time they were popular).  I'd never heard of the headlining act, Of Monsters and Men (or as I mistakenly kept referring to them ... Of Mice and Men ...  what can I say?  It was the literary part of my brain taking over.)  Later on, a friend whom we couldn't find in the huge crowd reported that the Back Street Boys didn't sing long and she thought the pieces Of Monsters and Men offered all sounded similar so she'd left as well.  Clearly, we think, the station had the line-up backwards ...


Crowds on Storrow Drive
We began to find our way out of the park to grab a drink and talk over the concert but it was hard.  The crowd had grown to the point where they'd had to close the park and the overflow crowd lined the other side of Storrow Drive, a major parkway on the river edge of the city.  They were on the other side of the lagoon too.  All the exits were closed so we strolled up a sidewalk hoping to find a way to cross Storrow.  We were stopped at a driveway while a large black van began to back into the busy roadway.  I said to my friends, "That's Gavin and the guys; they're leaving now."  And sure enough, it was them, making a quick getaway.  We waved and got a little excited (okay we were pretty excited) and Gavin and Ian O'Neill waved back.  We just happened to be there at the right time.  And we were the only ones there.  Probably the only ones not interested in the Back Street Boys because when we finally found our way out the State Trooper at the barricade seemed amazed we were leaving.  


Four friends relaxing at Tico (222 Berkeley Street)
Eventually we headed over the closed footbridge and made our way to, of all places, Tico, the restaurant my daughter had worked at until very recently.  It was great to sit down (really, it was about 6:00 and we'd been standing since noon) and have drinks and some food.  The talk centered on Gavin, the man, the musician, the instigator of new and rewarding friendships.  Our gratitude for our having found each other through his music and modern communication tools continues to grow within each of us.  It was another magical day spent with people I love, making memories and hearing music I love from the musician I love.

~


Everything Will Change







No comments:

Post a Comment