Saturday, May 10, 2014

Concert Diaries Chapter 26 ~ Oh Honey and James Blunt

I won these tickets.  I must have entered this contest a long time ago because I was totally surprised when I opened the email from WPLJ, my favorite radio station (and I'm not just saying that because of the tickets ... I say that because of the fun on-air personalities who work at this station ... really fun, interesting, smart people).  If I'd known what a crazy, busy this week would turn out to be, I probably would not have entered but the live-music addict in me could not turn down concert tickets even though I was out working at something every night this week in addition to "the day job".  It must have been meant to be--Tuesday was my only free night.

The curse (one of the curses?) of being divorced is having no single friends ... so, as I so often do, I flew solo to the Bergen Performing Arts Center.  The seats were pretty good and the theater was nice (although not as nice as my own M-PAC, the Mayo Center for the Performing Arts in Morristown).  The sparse crowd had me worried at first but little by little the theater filled.  I'd never heard of the opening act, Oh Honey, so I settled in and waited to be surprised.
 

And I was--so pleasantly surprised.  I feel sorry for those who opted for dessert rather than show up for the supporting act.  They missed a real treat.  This duo with a terrific backing band was fabulous.  They're from Brooklyn (and you know how I love New York musicians) and have recently signed with Atlantic Records.  Danielle Bouchard and Mitchy Collins have a lovely, honest sound, a folky-pop sound that you might, at first, think sounds simple but the interesting rhythms and tight, luscious harmonies layer on each other and point to a more complex overall final product that caught me totally off guard.  I don't know what it is about singer-songwriters ... maybe it's that they really take risks, putting their thoughts and feelings out there for everyone to hear, or maybe it's the stories or sentiments themselves that I find fascinating.  Whatever it is, I admire it a lot and these two are no exception.  I really wished they'd played longer and will definitely seek them out again.  Their EP, With Love, is a gem.  These original songs convey story and feelings in a beautiful way and the arrangements are stellar.  It's always truly exciting to be introduced to new music that resonates with you in some special way and I hope the full-length album that is surely coming, comes sooner rather than later.  If they are in your neighborhood, don't pass up the opportunity to hear them.  Oh, and the nice guy at their merch table where I bought the album said of them " ... and they're really nice human beings too."  Don't you just love that?  Is there a higher recommendation?  Go listen to I Love You Will Still Sound the Same and Be Okay.  I can't stop playing them.


I really only know James Blunt for the one song--his big hit, You're Beautiful.  I'm sure he hates that. After all he's touring now with his fourth album, Moon Landing, so he's been around and has a fairly big catalog. Moon Landing--explains the intro music that brought his band on stage.  And his attire.  With no lights on the darkened stage, the opening bars of Also Sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss broke into the silence (okay, you probably know this music as the theme from 2001, A Space Odyssey; that was the music major in me who to this day has trouble pronouncing the name).  He and his band were all dressed in flight suits.  I couldn't figure it out at first.  When the lights came up on him at his piano, I really couldn't figure out what he was wearing.  Formless, baggy overalls?  I found myself being distracted by the choice and I sort of couldn't get beyond it.  Unusual for me since I'm usually pretty open minded about stuff like that but it seemed overly theatrical (as did the intro).  I mean, after all, he's essentially known for romantic ballads, right?  It seemed like a disconnect to me--Top Gun meets purveyor of love songs?  (I've since looked on line for an explanation and found out that in bigger venues there is film of the moon and more and extensive lighting to enhance the whole space theme.)

I'm vaguely aware there's been some Twitter back-and-forth stuff happening recently between James and those who obviously don't care for this artist and that he apparently has a good sense of humor and of himself.  He sang what must have been  a decent mix of old and new songs with really good energy and switching ably between guitars, piano and ukelele (which he described as a little guitar he uses to make himself look bigger--gotta love short guy humor; I have a lot of those lines too).  About half way through the show people finally got to their feet.  For the first time since my last Springsteen concert I was in a crowd of my own demographic and not the oldest one in the room.  Perhaps that's why everyone stayed seated so long.  However, I could tell I was one of the only ones in the room who didn't really know the songs.  Which isn't to say I didn't enjoy it.  I did.  I was surprised at the number of up-tempo songs James performed and the way he covered the stage, having expected the aforementioned love songs and lack-of-love songs.  But it was an even mix of love, misery and fun, danceable songs.  His banter was funny and self-deprecating; he is a charming man.  Overall, a very enjoyable night.  The costumes though ... I'm still thinking that was weird.

In the midst of an extraordinarily busy week, this live music respite was most welcome.  Thanks again friends at PLJ!  You guys rock!

~~~~


Oh Honey ~ Be Okay



James Blunt ~ Bonfire Heart
James Blunt ~ Postcards
James Blunt ~ You're Beautiful  - flight suit edition



No comments:

Post a Comment