Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Weighing In

The eve of weighing in is an anxious time for me.  There shouldn't be any surprises because against all advice I weigh myself several times every morning.  I can pretty well predict what number is likely to appear in the little window just beneath my feet.

The night before weighing in there are all kinds of questions running around in my head ... did I work out enough hours ... walk the right number of miles ... make the correct food choices ... get enough sleep ... Paying attention to all the changes made in the last nine months and never--or hardly ever--letting up should result in something positive (well, actually negative) on the scale.

It almost always does.  The scale is my friend now.  It's steadfastly honest and some weeks rewards me with a nice big number in the loss column.  Some weeks it's not such a big number.  And even though I can usually predict my final outcome for the week, the night before I step on the scale for the official recording of that week's work is tense.  Will the feedback be what I need for another week of hard work?

The answer is "yes."  Whether the loss is small or large, whether I'm elated or disappointed, that number in the window becomes the motivation for all the choices that will be made in the ensuing week.  

It's weigh-in eve.  Drum roll please.

No comments:

Post a Comment