Monday, July 8, 2013

Concert Diaries Chapter Four - Promoting, Packing, Pondering

I'd started this post a couple of weeks ago but my thoughts weren't organized.  Tonight my thoughts are anything but organized but it's almost time.

The week before last Gavin DeGraw, Billy Norris and Ian O'Neill visited several New York radio stations to promote the new single, Best I Ever Had.  I'm not going to review the music here.  I'm not really qualified and I am completely biased.  Fans love these promotional appearances.  The interviews are fun and this particular singer is a great storyteller with no end, it seems, to the stories he might tell.

The first concert for this year's tour is Thursday night in Virginia Beach.  I'll leave early Wednesday morning and drive straight through.  As excited as I am for this concert (with Train and Michael Franti), I'm equally excited to be spending time with fan friends.  Excited doesn't quite capture it though; it's more like a dizzying anticipation that can't wait but at the same time doesn't want the moment to pass or that night to be over.  It feels as though we've been looking forward to it for a long time--I think we got the tickets five months ago.  And now we're here--a fairly large group of unique women of all ages brought together through the common thread of having been inspired by, admiring of and completely enthralled by the music of Gavin DeGraw.

We frequently wonder among ourselves if he's aware of the friendships formed because of him.  I've "talked" to others who, like me, give him credit for bringing health and happiness back to our lives.  This "obsession" of mine has me feeling younger than I have in decades, has shed light in shadowy places and brought incredible peace.

Does that surprise you?  That I'm a former church lay employee, a praying person who's found enormous peace in the singing and songwriting of one particular contemporary singer?  There's theology there and someday I may write about it but for tonight I'm content just to reflect on the fun and friendships formed this year and the meaning it's all brought to me.

So ... packing and pondering tonight.  Eight or so hours in the car to listen to Train, Michael Franti and Gavin DeGraw on Wednesday and then live and in person on Thursday night.  I think I know people at almost every show on this tour.  That means pictures and videos from all across the country, and yes, Toronto too.  Even if I'm not physically there, it's still a lot of fun.

I really, really like concert season ... 

~

Gavin DeGraw, Best I Ever Had 

No comments:

Post a Comment