Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Concert Diaries Chapter Five: Trust the Directions and Sister Hazel

From the road...

I used to really envy people in movies who yelled "road trip!" and instantly were on their way somewhere cool and fun. I've had my share of family road trips--that's an altogether different animal. 

So hitting the road today for Virginia Beach to meet up with friends and see Gavin DeGraw (and Michael Franti, Ashley Monroe and Train) seems like a real "road trip!" to me. 

I set out early and right away my GPS sent me In a different path than what I expected. I wasn't sure what to do. Follow Loud Chick's (that's what I call the voice) instructions or go the way I knew. After all, I was still in north Jersey and I know it well.   And then I remembered some wise words from a wise man that have served me well many times over the years. 

He was the first priest I ever worked for but he said this to me before I joined his staff. He'd been out to visit my husband and I for the first time close to thirty years ago. He didn't know the town where we lived but I'd told him "as long as you keep the lake on your left, you'll find us."  

When he arrived he said the way didn't feel right but he learned long ago to always trust the directions. I've always remembered that. Trust the directions. It works for so many things... from putting together the dreaded desk from the big box store to finding your way out of New Jersey to Virginia Beach. 

It turned out that Loud Chick sent me out of my way to avoid a traffic snafu and huge accident. Trust the directions. 

And now I'm sitting on Virginia Beach with friends and their adorable kids listening to Sister Hazel (a new-to-me band). Great music, a little southern rock which I love. Beautiful night that wants to rain but is holding off so we can relax and enjoy the music. 

Trust the directions. Good times are ahead. 
Sister Hazel in Virginia Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment