Sunday, July 14, 2013

Concert Diaries Chapter Seven: Opening Night


Wet, but happy.
After the show at the radio station, we grabbed a quick dinner and then drove off to the venue. And that's when it started to rain. Pour, actually. I saw Gavin in the rain three times last year. Needless to say, we were soaked to the skin by the time we found our seats under the covering of the Farm Bureau's roof after paying a visit to the "merch table."  Apparently, this is how I roll when it comes to seeing Gavin DeGraw at outdoor venues. And yes, there is a new t-shirt in my suitcase.

Gavin DeGraw
It's opening night of the band Train's summer tour--Mermaids of Alcatraz. Gavin is the opening act.  We're all a little sad about this. We want him to play for us all night--not just the 40-45 minutes allotted to an opening act. But we also understand. This helps expand the fan base.  It's all good though; seeing Gavin DeGraw perform for a short time is better than not seeing him at all.  And anticipating this tour has made me a huge Michael Franti fan as well.  I like Train well enough although I'm not sure I'd buy tickets were it not for Gavin's participation.  The concert fund is not unlimited ...

The venue is only partially filled when Gavin and the band (Billy Norris, Ian O'Neill, Eric Kinney and James Cruz) take the stage.  I feel badly about that.  It must be a little hard to be giving it your all (which he does 100% of the time) when there are so many empty seats.  But as we jump to our feet (it's impossible to stay seated) and begin to dance and sing with him, all other thoughts fade immediately away.  There is only the singer and the songs and us. 

There are eight songs on the set list tonight.  Five are hits from previous years and three are new, including the current single being played on radio now.  The new arrangements of the old tunes are incredible.  It's interesting to hear them in a slightly new way and it's impressive how fresh Gavin and the guys can make them sound.  The new music is beautiful, emotional and fun.  Best I Ever Had, the new single is being played more and more by radio in the last week as the tour gets under way and the band visits local stations.  It's not a typical Gavin DeGraw song but a fun new sound with "lots of words" and an infectious melody. Who's Gonna Save is going to be my favorite off the new album (due out in September) and the emotional rendition he gave us was truly moving.  Make a Move, the next single, is going to be a huge hit--I'm sure of it.  

It wasn't long enough.  Not by a long shot.  We're all so hoping for a solo tour after this one when the album comes out.  I'm saving vacation days for just that possibility. (I know that will come as no surprise to those who know me.)
Michael Franti sings
to the "lawn people."

Michael Franti's set was pure joy and alive with his special ability to make people feel the love that he freely sends out into the world.  He spent a lot of time in the huge crowd singing directly to excited fans.  His band and back up singers are fantastic and his show did not disappoint.  I would (and will) see him again as soon as possible.  

After long set changes and a Pink Floyd-esque animated and fully narrated introduction featuring Mermaids, Alcatraz and escaped prisoners, Train took the stage for their highly produced show.  I'd seen them last year (again because Gavin DeGraw was also there) and don't remember all the bells and whistles that they included for this show.  They sang all their past and present hits and have Ashley Monroe touring with them to sing the current single, Bruises, a duet with Pat Monahan.  Always one to do my homework, I'd investigated Ashley Monroe and she's now on my list of favorite female singers.  Her first album is recently out and is really good.
Train

It was a truly wonderful evening of great music.  The musicians were clearly fired up for opening night and the three bands were very complementary and have similar fans so it felt to me as though all who were there were happy and upbeat with the 4-hour event.

Back at N's house, we stayed up all night reliving Gavin's performance through pictures and videos, Facebook postings and Tweets.  That's what happens ... the post-concert high that can last hours, certainly, and days, sometimes.  It's 5 AM before we turn in, exhausted in a weirdly energetic way.

The following day was spent similarly: surfing the internet for pictures and videos although N's videos are the only ones we see and they're great.  Writing down lyrics to the new songs from the performance videos was like forensic wordsmithing. Performance videos aren't professional recordings so capturing every word is unlikely.  You are reduced to straining for some of the lyrics.  This activity combined with post-concert euphoria and lack of sleep produced an abundance of hilarity.

Three special days filled with the music I love, enjoyed in the company of like-minded friends.  I can't imagine anything better.  Truly.



Many, many thanks to my friend for hosting me for this trip south.  I've not had such a good time since, well, since the last time I saw her in November at our Long Island concert.  I hope I can return the favor one day.

I've mentioned several times in this space how social media, Twitter particularly, has enhanced my life.  I can't thank my friends enough for sharing this real-time experience and look forward to more shenanigans together and apart-but-together on the web.

Thanks for the pictures too you guys!





No comments:

Post a Comment