Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sleepless Again ... or Still

I'm on vacation this week.  It's the same week I took last year.  Fangirling around the East Coast ... six days, three concerts, one meet and greet and time with my daughter.  I'm calling it perfect, although many won't understand ... at least not the fangirl part.

Concert season sleeplessness is upon me again as well.  Staying up late to revel in tweeted photos and videos; late-night conversations with fellow fan friends in every time zone in this country and several others.  Reading the blogs of those who, like me, need to write down all the magic in order to remember it.  More anticipation.  More post-concert elation.

What is the definition of manic?

The Cambridge Dictionary:  Excited or anxious in a way that causes a lot of physical activity.  Hmmm... Excited and anxious?  Yes, both.  Lots of physical activity?  Not really.  Except for the walking.  Which, come to think about it, started around the same time as the music obsession.  Right.

Miriam-Webster:  Affected with, relating to, characterized by, or resulting from mania.  Okay, then. Mania? Excessive or unreasonable enthusiasm.

Bingo.

I'm suffering from mania.  I am a maniac.  A middle-aged maniac.  If I wasn't having such a great time and if I didn't know how much good this addiction has done in my life, I'd think that sounded pathetic.  

But this relatively new-found mania may have resurrected my life.  I like to think it has although deep down I know there's a lot more to it than just the music.  But since the music was the catalyst for the happiness and contentment that have my cup full to running over, I will continue to be thankful for the freedom and joy that flood my days.

~

Of note:  Extreme fans of the band Train are known as trainiacs.  I'll be seeing Train three times this week, in three states.  However, I'm not a trainiac.  They just happen to be on the road with me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment