Saturday, September 21, 2013

Concert Diaries ~ Chapter Fifteen: Michael Franti (Soul Food)

 
I'd never heard of Michael Franti before this year.  I've explained it here a few times but I'll say it again:  I was living in the dark for quite a while and I have a lot of catching up to do.  But I do my homework and when it was announced he'd be joining the Train tour in Virginia Beach, I listened so I'd know the music.  And that's how I came to be a fan.  More music to love because of Gavin DeGraw.  Because I probably would not have gone to Virginia Beach for Train alone--I went for Gavin.  

I find it hard to describe Michael's particular brand of amazing.  He's a little rock, a little rap, a little reggae ... a lot of passion, a lot of love.  A whole lot of love.

Flying solo on Thursday night, I took the 4:15 to Port Authority and walked the mile+ to Terminal 5, the venue.  Ushered up to the rooftop bar, I had a glass of wine and then got in line to be assured of the coveted front row.  And make no mistake, I've learned to do the front row dash like someone 40 years younger.  Standing in line, I met another fan in my age range, also solo for the evening.  The short line began to move and we found ourselves headed downstairs where we landed right in front against the barricade in front of the stage.  I love general admission!  There was another woman right there in front too.  Another solo fan close to my age.  I was fascinated by this.  I meet people at most shows I attend but usually not my age.  D was from out of town, visiting her daughter; J was also from New Jersey.  She'd seen Franti 14 times (but had also seen The Who back in the day over 90 times).  D and I talked about meeting people at concerts ... about how gratifying it is to share a little of one's story and find the common ground, the places where your experiences line up and where you learn about someone else's humanity.  This is particularly true, I imagine, at a Michael Franti concert because humanity is what he's all about.

There was an opening act.  The Kopecki Family Band.  They're from Nashville (of course, everyone is from Nashville these days, it seems) and consist of six members only one of whom is a Kopecki.  Their indie rock sound included cello and trombone so I was captivated.  I love when bands include more than the standard instrumentation and these people were were so very clearly enjoying what they do that it was impossible not to be swept up by their enthusiasm.  It was their final night on this tour.

It was a pretty quick break tonight and before I knew Michael Franti and Spearhead were on stage.  I hate to quote Wikipedia but here's what it says:

Michael Franti (born April 21, 1966) is an American poet, musician, and composer. He is the creator and lead vocalist of Michael Franti & Spearhead, a band that blends hip hop with a variety of other styles including funkreggaejazzfolk, and rock. He is also an outspoken supporter for a wide spectrum of peace and social justice issues.

American poet.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that he is.  Here's a sample:


"11:59"

It's eleven fifty-nine and fifty-nine seconds. 
If I'm gonna die tonight I want heaven, ay, ay, with you. [x2]

It was eleven fifty-nine and fifty-nine clicks. 
The whole world's burning but the clock just ticks
over and over, every single day. 
Some people steal while other people pray
to God, to man, machines or whatever. 
Some of us just lost faith altogether. 
"No way," they say, "it can't be this way." 
That's why so many people stand up and say:

One love, one blood, one heart, one soul and 
one drum and only one rhythm,
One tribe and all of us singing. 

It's eleven fifty-nine and fifty-nine seconds. 
If I'm gonna die tonight I want heaven, ay, ay, with you. [x2]

It was eleven fifty-nine and fifty-nine clicks. 
Life's a cord plugged in, the whole world's sick.
Got diseases excited, they crawled up inside us. 
Superstupiditis, philosophies that divide us. 
Keep us in fear from one another 
so we can't recognize a brother from another mother. 
No way, we can't live this way, 
that's why so many people stand up and say:

One love, one blood, one heart, one soul and 
one drum and only one rhythm,
One tribe and all of us singing. 

It's eleven fifty-nine and fifty-nine seconds. 
If I'm gonna die tonight I want heaven, ay, ay, with you. [x2] 

(I wanna rock it with you)
Ay, I wanna rock it with you,
I wanna rock it with you,
Till the day I die, till the day I die,
I wanna rock with you, till the day I die.

It was eleven fifty-nine and fifty-nine clicks. 
The whole world's burning, but the clock just ticks. 
Some people cry, others occupy,
throw your hands high as the bullets fly by.
I dried my eyes, others wonder why,
but I just wanna be with you till the day I die 

One love, one blood, one heart, one soul and 
one drum and only one rhythm, 
One tribe and all of us singing.

It's eleven fifty-nine and fifty-nine seconds. 
If I'm gonna die tonight I want heaven, ay, ay, with you.

This is my favorite song from the current album out recently--All People.  He made his way through the audience as he sang.  I'm so short that when an artist does this I quickly lose sight, but I can watch the wake like a slow stadium wave as the people turn towards the singer and the spotlight moves slowly along the path.  When I could no longer tell just where he was, I turned back to the stage to watch the indefatigable guitar player, Jay Bowman, continue to back up Michael from the stage.  Jay has more energy than anyone I've ever seen and his ability to share his positive vibe should have everyone taking notes.  It's impossible to feel anything other than sheer happiness in his presence.

Watching the band and taking some pictures, I failed to notice what was happening two feet in front of me.  Suddenly the air was filled with white confetti from an air canon only inches away.  I was blinded by the whiteness and looked around to see the bits of paper filling the whole room.  White--the absence of color.  The absence of ... things that divide us ... of race, of politics, of hunger and pain, of war?  It was a glorious moment and I felt like a child during a first snowfall--when everything gets all clean and white.  It was amazing.  I didn't want that moment to end.  I wished the whole world could be covered in white confetti.

Michael had made his way to the first balcony.  The people up there were undoubtedly thrilled with the visit, especially, I think, his half brother who was there enjoying the show.

Back on stage, Michael moved around filling the stage with his magnetic presence.  More than one time he was right in front of me.  Like everyone else, my hands were stretched in his direction.  When he held it, I felt his energy flow through me.  

In due time, he invited people to come up and dance.  Only one couple joined him though and it quickly became apparent that this was planned as the young man sank to one knee and pulled one of those tiny boxes out of his pocket.  As the girl buried her face in his shoulder, I couldn't tell if the audience had fallen quiet or was cheering loudly ... I'd become lost in their moment.  It was a beautiful scene.  After that there was dancing--lots of people took the stage and there was pure joy in abundance as people let themselves go and become one with the music and the message.  The floor of the venue was vibrating with the force of the joy.  During Say Hey, he had a little girl sing a verse with him.  I was reminded of our special day with 94.9, The Point radio, in Virginia Beach, when the children he pulled onto the small stage in the restaurant we were in were the daughters of the friends I was staying with.

More songs.  During "The Sound of Sunshine" giant yellow spheres were launched throughout the room.  As they bounced gently from person to person from the stage to the audience, up to the balconies and back, it was a though they were floating and, at times, suspended in the air, as though sunshine had really come down.  It was entrancing.  I knew I was losing myself to the music and that it would a while before I'd make my way back to real life.  I can't explain how amazing it was.  There's so much hope and love in Michael's music.  There's protest but it's gentle--a true example of what walking your talk really looks like.


Michael talked about his family, introduced his partner Sara, shared what it meant to be adopted by the Franti family and how he and his siblings were raised to treat all people with one love.  He brought the Kopecki Family Band out on stage for the last song and the performance that ensued was phenomenal.  Electric.  Emotional.  It was big. 

Then there were encore performances--three of them.  He sang I'm Alive and the confetti canons exploded again.  This time the confetti was multi-colored.  A riot of rainbow bits that flooded the stage and the floor, uniting musicians and fans in an interpretation of diversity and appreciation for its beauty, strength and sheer necessity.  Because if this planet is going to survive, if we're not going to kill ourselves and everything that good about this place, we're going to have to learn to get along.

I'm Alive.  And tonight I've been fed with food for my soul.  Soul Food.

I drifted out onto the sidewalk with a thousand other people headed off to hundreds of different destinations.  The harvest moon was glowing over Manhattan and everything seemed bathed in a silvery light.  A couple walked past me and turned to me ... he said "You have confetti coming off you."  I was still in a trance of sorts and all I managed to respond was a little smile.  I'd like to spread confetti everywhere I go, I thought.

I had planned to take a cab back to Port Authority but having missed the 11:00 bus, I now had two hours to kill, so I decided to walk.  It was a beautiful night and every nerve had been tuned to notice every nuance of all I saw.

Eventually I sat at my familiar gate #402 waiting to board the 1:00 bus that would get me home just after 2:00.  I leaned over to take my phone from my bag.  Confetti.  Confetti floated out of my hair.

I'm Alive.

~

Usually I choose one or two videos to share.  Although none of these are from Thursday night, I couldn't settle on just a couple.  Watching these versions of each of these songs took me right back to the magic of that night.

11:59 

Say Hey

The Sound of Sunshine (Yes, I was jumping ...)

I'm Alive - (Red Rocks, high on my bucket list now ...)


Dancing.

And dancing.








No comments:

Post a Comment