Monday, September 2, 2013

Walk Journals ~ August 25 Ramblings

It's a brilliant day! An astounding morning!* Bright blue skies with puffy clouds and butterflies everywhere.  Sunday morning walks mean the most to me. There's more time, especially after church goes back to its regular schedule in September.  My mind, trained to tune in differently on Sundays, always seems more receptive to me.
Today I'm heading north on a busy street in town.  The community garden seems to be calling out to me so I'm veering off the sidewalk to see what the suburban farmers have been up to this summer.  I think a lot of urban-suburban towns have these gardens.  Sunny plots that you sign up for if your backyard is in the woods (or you have no backyard at all) so you can plant sun-loving species like fruits and vegetables.  We have lots of suburban farmers here.  They seem particularly partial to sunflowers this year and I'm appreciating their towering beauty and mentally reminiscing about our summer train ride through the Tuscan countryside a few years ago.


Sunflowers seem to be the common thread here this year.  Tomatoes too, of course; after all, this is Jersey and we're famous for them.  Wandering through these plots makes me wistful for my gardening days ... when the children were small and I could stay home.  Our garden was huge and there was far more produce than we could handle.  I remember specializing in different types of lettuce, mustard greens and more.  Scented geraniums too ... Herb jellies and vinegars ... I was so domestic then.  There are times I really miss those days.

These side wanderings of my fitness rambles really slow me down.  Most of the time I remember to pause my fitness apps on my phone so my times and distances walked are not affected by my rambling off course--both mentally and physically.  Today I'm noticing how neat some of the plots are and how, like many suburban gardens at this time of year, the "farmers" have let their tomatoes get ahead of them.

Sweet Peas along a fence.
A childhood favorite...

Lots of people planted cutting gardens too.  I miss my cutting garden as well as the vegetables.  Deadheading, fertilizing, keeping on top of pests ... it all takes time.  Time during daylight hours is so hard to come by and most of my discretionary time these days seems to be moonlit.  I suppose if I wasn't giving over so much daylight to trying to keep fit, there'd be more time in the garden but, although gardening is sort of exercise, it's not targeted nor very aerobic.  So I'm opting for keeping on top of weight loss and a more low-maintenance yard these days.


Back on the road (or sidewalk in this case) and into mile two I pass the Diamond Spring, a natural spring that attracted city folk (that would be primarily New Yorkers, I think) out to the country to relax in the healing water. Even Teddy Roosevelt visited the Inn that once was on this property.  The only remaining structures from those days are the caretaker's home (a stately house close to the road) and the shed where the spring's bottled water was readied for shipment.  At this time of year the mist that rises from the spring's summer-warmed waters into the cool of the pre-fall air always fascinates me.  Or causes me to break into a chorus of Brigadoon.  I can get away with that in the early morning when I'm alone on the road ....

Walking up to and around the pond at the nature park, I choose my favorite from the limited number of trails. On sunny days the light back here is very special, shining off the water, filtering through the trees and lighting the ferns along the path.  It's hard to maintain any speed where there is so much to see and feel here.  I have to remind myself why I'm out here:  get fit; stay fit; think fit; be fit.

Heading for home.  It's a 6-mile day and I'm still going to make it to church!  Good ramble.

~

*My friend (and priest), Janet, uses the word astounding a lot.  I pay attention every time she says it.  It's always followed by something I know I'll find interesting or informative or eye-opening or heart-opening.  I've started to use it too.  Not to call attention to my thoughts for others, but for me to pay attention to whatever is special in that moment.  To appreciate the amazing blessings that I can find everywhere if I'm really paying attention. It was an astounding morning ramble.

~

Playlist for a Sunday:

Steven Curtis Chapman,  Re-Creation  (Here's a piece of it:  Morning Has Broken/Sing Hallelujah)
Blaire Reinhard Band, Concert for Lauren
Michael Franti, All People




Suburban farmer sweet corn ... coming to a lucky
farmer's kitchen soon.  Just-picked golden goodness.















No comments:

Post a Comment